EMC joined the IDC Saudi Arabia CIO Summit 2014, which took place between September 9 and 10 at the Four Seasons Hotel in Riyadh, as Summit Partners. Hosted by the Ministry of Communications and Information Technology, Saudi Arabia, this summit had attracted global IT experts on the four megatrends of cloud, mobile, big data and social media.
The Move to the 3rd Platform
EMC was represented on day one of the Summit by Giuseppe Fortunato, Consulting EMEA Cloud Practice Lead, who led the discussion titled ‘The Third Platform’ with his topic: The Time to Redefine IT is Now! Fortunato’s presentation highlighted the Do’s and Don’ts of the move towards 3rd Platform technologies. This included:
- Investment in the future of IT and creating a software defined enterprise.
- Management of the existing pool of resources, utilizing existing infrastructure and upgrading it to support the transference to the 3rd Platform
- Renting certain services to balance operational costs
- Bridging the gap between 2nd and 3rd platform.
The CIO Perspective
EMC had also invited speaker Aiedh Al-Zahrani, Executive Vice President BT Division Head at Riyad Bank, who presented alongside EMC’s Fortunato. The other speaker on the panel was Ali Bin Saleh Al-Soma, from Saudi Arabia’s e-Government program Yesser. Both CIOs touched upon the transference to the 3rd platform, from a banking and public services POV.
- Al-Soma said the aim of their e-Government program was to provide superior quality services for IT-enabled citizens, using mobile, social and big data. He also conveyed the same message from a business perspective: to facilitate best quality interactive and agile services for citizens, using intelligent analytics.
- Al Zahrani reiterated Al-Soma’s point of using 3rd platform technologies, within the context of the banking sector, to improve sales, marketing scope, income and revenue generation from IT departments, which were generally viewed only as a budget-consuming arms of companies.
The CIO Evolution
Overall, the summit discussed the challenges presented to global CIOs by 3rd Platform technologies, and the skills and solutions required to address them. Evolving technologies were leading to evolving CIO roles, and in the next few years it would become imperative to innovate and match ever-increasing business expectations.
EMC’s stand discussions also focused on the evolution of the CIO role. The EMC Consulting Division connected with other CIOs at the summit and demonstrated how ideal a Hybrid Cloud can be to grow businesses, while transferring securely to the 3rd platform. Partnering with the Saudi Arabian IDC CIO Summit was gratifying and exciting, as the attendance was qualitatively and quantitatively strong.